San Francisco Unified School District in partnership with the San Francisco Arts Commission seek a consultant or consultants to support the “refreshing” of the SFUSD’s Arts Education Master Plan
In 2006, the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) launched the Arts Education Master Plan (AEMP), a comprehensive vision for integrating the arts into every student’s daily curriculum. With funding approved by the voters of San Francisco, Proposition H allocated the Public Education Enrichment Fund (PEEF), which included funding to broadly support arts and music. The AEMP was designed to guide the funds made available through PEEF and to provide a blueprint for the SFUSD to deliver high quality arts education for a decade, sun setting in 2014.
In November 2014, the Our Children, Our Families Council was created when the voters of San Francisco passed Proposition C. The proposition created the Council to align efforts across the City and County of San Francisco, SFUSD, and the community with the aim of improving outcomes for children, youth and families in San Francisco. It also renewed the two City funds (the Children’s Fund and the Public Education Enrichment Fund) that specifically support the AEMP and arts education. Our Children, Our Families funding is secured for the next twenty five years, providing an opportunity to review the first ten years of the AEMP and plan for the future.
The AEMP Advisory Committee, an advisory body with seats approved by the SFUSD School Board, held a series of working groups that met throughout the spring of 2016 to review the six core pillars of the AEMP and provide recommendations for improvements to sustain an invigorated arts education strategy into the next two decades. Principally reviewing the core pillars of the AEMP; administrative leadership; professional development; resources and staffing, curriculum and instruction; partnerships, collaborations, and assessment; the recommendations and challenges form the basis for the next iteration of the AEMP and this RFP.
Specifically, the 2015-2016 review of the AEMP pointed out the opportunity to enrich SFUSD’s current work in five areas:
1. Access and Equity – Are the arts consistently accessible to our least-served students, and do the arts play a role in achieving equitable outcomes in San Francisco?
2. Data and Metrics – In what additional ways could the district and the AEMP Advisory Council leverage existing data, and what other metrics related to program quality and student outcomes should we collect and analyze?
3. Policy and Leadership – How does the district’s administrative structure, and its current arts policies and expectations support access and equity in the arts, and how could these systems and policies be strengthened?
4. Sequential Arts Curriculum – How does the district’s current curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment support access and equity; how do they compare to other districts’ work; and how could they be strengthened?
5. After-School/Out of School Arts Supplements – In what ways do current after-school arts supplements (which are not funded through PEEF) address access and equity in the arts, and could these be made more robust?
Proposal documents should be submitted in hard copy to:
San Francisco Arts Commission: c/o Liz Ozol. War Memorial Veterans Building, 401 Van Ness Ave #325, San Francisco, CA 94102.
A joint committee of SFAC, SFUSD staff and AEMP Advisory Board members will screen applicants and conduct interviews. Proposals must be submitted (not a postmark date) by Monday, March 13, 2017 with interviews to follow in March and April, 2017.