Request for Qualifications
49 South Van Ness Avenue Public Art Project
49 South Van Ness Avenue Public Art Project
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
RFQ Issue Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Application Deadline: Friday, March 23, 2018, 11:59 p.m., PST
The San Francisco Arts Commission invites artists and artist teams residing in the United States to submit qualifications for the 49 South Van Ness Entry Plaza and Prefunction Gallery Wall public art projects.
The total budget for artwork for the exterior Entry Plaza is $750,000, inclusive of all artist's fees, as well as associated expenses for design, fabrication, insurance, transportation and installation.
The total budget for artwork for the interior Prefunction Gallery Wall is $250,000, inclusive of all artist's fees, as well as associated expenses for design, fabrication, insurance, transportation and installation.
49 South Van Ness Avenue is being developed by the City as a permit center and office building to be occupied by several City departments including Building Inspection, Planning and Public Works. The new City building will be an 18-story tower on 11th Street between Market and Mission Streets. There is a private project which is being developed concurrently next to the new City building. That will be a 39-story mixed-use residential and retail development at the corner of Mission Street and South Van Ness Avenue. The development site will feature a publicly accessible concourse separating the residential and retail components from the City office development and will provide pedestrian connectivity midway through the site from South Van Ness Avenue to 11th Street.
Artwork for the Entry Plaza will be located within an 8’ x 8’ footprint on South Van Ness Avenue at the entrance to the publicly accessible concourse connecting South Van Ness to 11th Street. The maximum load limit for the Entry Plaza artwork will be 250 lbs. per square foot.
Artwork for the Prefunction Gallery Wall will be located on a 15’ x 30’ interior wall on the ground floor of the City building. The maximum protrusion of the Prefunction Gallery Wall artwork is not to exceed 4”.
Artist Qualification Panel: The applications will be reviewed by an Artist Qualification Panel consisting of representatives from Arts Commission staff and arts professionals to identify a shortlist of qualified artists to be considered for the project opportunity. Select artists from the Arts Commission’s 2017/2018 Prequalified Pool of Artists whose work is appropriate for this commission will also be presented to the Artist Qualification Panel to be considered for inclusion on the shortlist.
Artist Selection Panel: This shortlist of qualified artists will be presented to an artist selection panel consisting of three arts professionals, one community member, an Arts Commissioner, one representative of the client agency, and one representative of the design team. After considering the artists’ qualifications, the artist selection panel will identify finalists for both project opportunities for recommendation to the Arts Commission for approval. The finalists will be invited to develop conceptual proposals after attending an orientation session with the project team and key stakeholders.
Finalists for the Entry Plaza will be paid an honorarium of $3,000 for development of a conceptual design proposal, plus the reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses, approved by the Arts Commission prior to travel arrangements being made for the orientation and panel interview.
Finalists for the Prefunction Gallery Wall will be paid an honorarium of $2,000 for development of a conceptual design proposal, plus the reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses, approved by the Arts Commission prior to travel arrangements being made for the orientation and panel interview.
The proposals shall be displayed near the project site for written public comment prior to the final selection panel meeting.
The Artist Selection Panel will reconvene to consider the finalists’ concepts in an interview format along with any community input and will select one artist and an alternate for each project opportunity for recommendation to the Arts Commission.
Arts Commission Approval: The Artist Selection Panel’s recommendation will be submitted first to the Visual Arts Committee, a subcommittee of the Arts Commission and then to the full Arts Commission for approval.
All Arts Commission meetings and Public Art Selection Panel meetings are open to the public and are posted on the Arts Commission website at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting. To check the meeting schedule for public art projects, please go to our calendar.
ARTIST SELECTION CONSIDERATIONS
• Complete application submitted prior to the application deadline.
• Artwork examples submitted represent the artist’s own original creative work.
• The artist’s work reflects artistic excellence, innovation and originality, as evidenced by professional quality of craftsmanship and mastery of skills, techniques; professional approaches to processes and presentation, and/or communicate a unique vision or perspective.
• The artist’s work is judged to be appropriate to the goals of the project.
• The artist's professional experience is adequate to meet the demands of the project. Qualifying activities would include some combination of the following: education and training as an artist, an exhibition record in museums, commercial art galleries, and/or non-profit art spaces, previous public or private commissions; participation in artist-in-residency programs, or other related activities indicative of a professional art practice.
• The artist is available to participate in the design, approval and implementation of the project as required.
• Assessed ability to meet project deadlines and to perform work in a timely and professional manner.
• Results of reference checks for project finalists.
|Selection Panel 1st Meeting||Week of April 2, 2018|
|Applicant notification via email||Week of April 2, 2018|
|Selection Panel 2nd Meeting||Week of May 21, 2018|
|Approval of selected artist by Visual Arts Committee||June 12, 2018|
|Approval of selected artist by Full Commission||July 2, 2018|
|Artist under contract||July 2018|
|Anticipated completion||Late 2019/Early 2020|
How To Apply
Applications are available through SlideRoom (https://sfgov.slideroom.com), an online application system for calls for entry. There is no charge to artists for using SlideRoom. If you are specifically interested in one of the two project opportunities please identify your preference for either the Entry Plaza or Prefunction Gallery Wall in your Letter of Interest. Be sure to allow adequate time to submit your application as technical difficulties can occur. Applications that are mailed, emailed, faxed, or hand-delivered will not be considered.
Applications will not be accepted after the March 23, 2018, 11:59 p.m. (PST) deadline.
Application materials include:
• If you are applying as a team, please include your team/studio resume. If that is not available, please combine the individual resumes (one right after the other) of each team member into one document.
2. Letter of Interest
• One page maximum.
• This should be a summary of your artistic focus and professional career, especially as your background relates to your qualifications for this project. Do not make a specific proposal for a new commission.
3. 10 images of previous work
• SlideRoom accepts all image file types up to 5MB. Images should be 72 dpi and no larger than 1280 x 1280 pixels
• For team application, please indicate the lead artist for each project.
4. Image descriptions
• When you upload your images, SlideRoom will prompt you to fill out image descriptions. Please include the title, medium, dimensions, and year for each work. You may also include a brief statement (2 sentences maximum) about each work.
Check out our "How to Apply to Calls" for helpful tips on how to submit the most competitive application.
Please note that Arts Commission staff will be available to answer questions about this call until 5 p.m. (PDT or PST) on the deadline date, March 23 2018. Please contact Craig Corpora at email@example.com, or 415-252-2249.
SlideRoom technical support is available Monday – Saturday by email, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. (CDT or CST) firstname.lastname@example.org.