Call for Entries: You Look Familiar
The San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery and PhotoAlliance announce a call for entries for the exhibition, You Look Familiar.
Submissions due: Saturday, August 13, 2011 6pm.
Exhibition Dates: October 5, 2011 – January 6, 2012
Location: SFAC Gallery, Art at City Hall
Submissions Due: Saturday, August 13, 2011, 6pm (This is NOT a postmark deadline.)
For more information: contact the SFAC Gallery at 415.554.6080 or email@example.com. Click here for more information about PhotoAlliance.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION: You Look Familiar
We are inviting submissions of photographic works that explore what it means to be part of a group, culture or association. Submissions can depict groups of people who share activities, identities, locations or some form of common ground. How do we look familiar to the people who share our passions and interests? From fashionistas to sports fans, and from mountain climbers to rockabilly swing dancers, we are looking for submissions of people who look familiar to each other. We will also accept images that reveal the evidence of group activities. If familiar faces are not present in the photographs, what kind of residues do groups leave or what objects could be attached to a place as a signifier of a shared activity or event? What kind of places or objects define a group? (You do not have to be a part of the association depicted.)
The City Hall ground floor exhibition space can accommodate up to 100 photographs. The jury will choose between three and ten images from each selected artist. Please do not submit less than three images. There will be no stipend for selected artists.
Please be conscious of the fact that the exhibition space at City Hall is a multi-use area that acts as a busy intersection for City employees, tourists, children and arts patrons. It is both a municipal cross roads and a place where individual concerns may be expressed. Please note that exhibited works will not be insured.
- Eligibility: All living artists over the age of 18 who are residents of the greater San Francisco Bay Area are eligible to apply. All work should have been completed in the past five years. (San Francisco Bay Area counties include: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano and Sonoma Counties)
- No entry fee required
- Medium, framing, Delivery: All two-dimensional works using any photographic process including digital and/or analog are eligible for exhibition. All chosen works should be delivered to the Gallery framed behind glass or Plexiglas. All selected artists need to be able to deliver and pick up their work from San Francisco City Hall on designated installation and de-installation dates. Works that need to be shipped will not be considered.
- Portfolio: Only digital submissions will be accepted. Submit three to ten images. Files should be on a CD in JPEG format. Image size should be no larger than 2MB or 8 inches in one dimension with a resolution of 150dpi.
- Image files should be titled: Lastname_Firstname_imagenumber.jpg
- Please submit an accompanying inventory sheet with the image number, your name, title, date, medium and unframed dimensions of each piece. You may also include a one-page statement about the work and a one-page bio.
- Please include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Mail submissions to: San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery 401 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco, CA 94102
Attn: That Looks Familiar Jury
- No emailed submissions will be accepted. Hand delivered or mailed applications only.
- Submissions Due: Must be received by Saturday, August 13 by 6pm. No late entries will be accepted under any circumstance. Please plan ahead. Traffic and parking can sometimes be time consuming around the Civic Center. We will not be able to accept any late submissions for ANY reason.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
JURORS for You Look Familiar
Meg Shiffler, Gallery Director, San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery
Thom Sempere, Executive Director, PhotoAlliance
Darius Himes, Fraenkel Gallery
More jurors announced soon!
August 13 Submissions due by 6pm
August 23 Jury panel meets to make decisions
August 24 Notify selected artists (emails will be sent)
Sept. 22-24 Artists deliver artwork
October 5 Opening reception at City Hall, 5:30 – 7:30pm
January 6 Exhibition closes
January 12-14 Artists pick-up artwork