After successful application and screening, artists receive certificates licensing them to sell their work in the spaces designated by the Board of Supervisors.

Renewing Your Certificate

The Street Artists Program will be transitioning to a quarterly payment system where by artists will follow the same payment schedule.

The quarterly schedule follows the fiscal year schedule:

Quarter 1: July 1 – September 30
Quarter 2: October 1 – December 31
Quarter 3: January 1 – March 31
Quarter 4: April 1 – June 30

In order to renew your certificate, we recommend that you pay at least 10 days before the last day of each quarter in order to receive your updated certificate by the beginning of the next quarter.

Failure to submit your renewal payment by the last day of the previous quarter will mean that you will not be able to sell in the next quarter until your payment is received. If you sell any items after the expiration date of your Certificate, the Arts Commission may deny renewal of your Certificate, suspend it for a period of its validity once you do renew it or revoke the certificate. Expired certificates will not be accepted at the lottery for street artist spaces.

Note: All quarterly licenses will be issued on the first day of the fiscal quarter and expire on the last day of the fiscal quarter. Artists will be able to pay at any time during the quarter for the full quarterly fee amount. All annual licenses issued on the first day of the fiscal year and expire on the last day of the fiscal year. Artists will be able to pay at any time during the year for the full annual fee amount.

You may renew your certificate by mail or in person at the Street Artists Program office during office hours. Payment must be made by check or money order and paid to the order of the "San Francisco Arts Commission". Credit cards are accepted in-person at the program office.

CERTIFICATE FEE: Effective Friday, July 1, 2016, the certificate (license) fee: $184 quarterly and $738 annually.

Some items for which certificates are not issued

Food items, incense, perfumes, body oils, soaps, or other cosmetic products which come in contact with the human body or skin. You may want to contact the Police Department at the Hall of Justice,(415) 553-1115, to inquire about a “Peddler’s Permit” for these items.

Street Performers

The Street Artists Program does not issue a certificate for the activity of street music or performing, as there is no provision in the Street Artist Ordinance for the certification of such activities. You may want to contact the Entertainment Commission for further information in this category at (415) 554-7793.


Unable to find the right information?  Click here to request more information.