Established by charter in 1932, the San Francisco Arts Commission is the city agency that champions the arts.
We are committed to supporting a healthy arts ecosystem and to fostering cultural equity in our communities. Learn more about the values that guide our work. Director of Cultural Affairs Tom DeCaigny
The San Francisco Arts Commission is the City agency that champions the arts as essential to daily life by investing in a vibrant arts community, enlivening the urban environment and shaping innovative cultural policy.
The San Francisco Arts Commission envisions a San Francisco where the transformative power of art is critical to strengthening neighborhoods, building infrastructure and fostering positive social change. We believe the arts create inspiring personal experiences, illuminate the human condition and offer meaningful ways to engage with each other and the world around us. We imagine a vibrant San Francisco where creativity, prosperity and progress go hand in hand. We advance artists’ ideas to improve the quality of life for everyone through a united cultural sector whose contributions are vital and valued.
- Cultural equity and access to high quality arts experience for all
- The arts as a vehicle for positive social change and prosperity
- Artists as integral to making San Francisco a city where people want to live, work and play
- The arts as critical to a healthy democracy and innovative government
- Responsiveness to community needs
- Collaboration and partnerships
- Accountability and data-driven decision-making
- Invest in a vibrant arts community
- Enliven the urban environment
- Shape innovative cultural policy
- Build public awareness of the value and benefits of the arts
- Improve operations to better serve the San Francisco arts ecosystem