Located in and serving Bayview-Hunter’s Point, the Southeast Health Center (SEHC) is a full-service health clinic that provides affordable, comprehensive and quality care to people of all ages. In Spring 2020, SEHC embarked on an expansion project to build a new primary care facility at the corner of Bancroft Avenue and Keith Street, next to the existing clinic. The 22,000-square-foot building will have two floors, 21 patient rooms, and enable the clinic to update and expand its health services.
Established in 1979, the original SEHC was operated by community members prior to being transitioned into a federally qualified health center managed by the Department of Public Health. In light of this history, the Southeast Health Center Community Advisory Board re-convened to provide ongoing feedback on the design of the new building, as well as the public art program. Permanent artworks by artists Ramekon O’Arwisters and Ronald M. Saunders were commissioned for the site in Fall 2018. The SEHC Expansion is scheduled for completion in 2022.
- 2-dimensional artwork mounted on and maximizing the length of a 23’ x 9’ wall adjacent to the SEHC Multipurpose Community Room. Artwork may be executed as framed, original work or reproduced on printed aluminum, either as a singular piece or a series of smaller pieces that work together as a whole.
- Artwork will help to document, preserve and amplify the history of the Southeast Health Center, a health facility born out of intense community activism, including those activists, both individuals and groups, that were instrumental in its establishment.
- Artist will work with community members to research and select photographs and other ephemera that reflect the history of the Southeast Health Center and integrate these materials into the artwork. Important dates, key facts and/or quotes should either be incorporated into and/or accompany the artwork through captions and/or other graphic means.
- $47,000, inclusive of all artist’s fees, as well as associated expenses for artwork design, fabrication (including framing, if applicable), insurance, transportation and installation.
ARTIST RECRUITMENT APPROACH AND ELIGIBILITY
- Shortlist of artists will be selected using the Bayview Registry Prequalified Artist Pool
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
Arts Commission staff will screen applications to establish a shortlist of artists judged to best meet the goals of the project. Review criteria will include the artist’s meaningful connection to the Bayview, experience working with personal and public archives, and demonstrated ability to engage community in artwork design development. Artist applications and statements of interest will be presented to the Southeast Health Center Community History Wall artist review panel consisting of a representative of the client agency, 1 arts professional, an Arts Commissioner, and 1 community member. The panel will select one artist for the commission based on their past work and statement of interest to recommend to the Art Commission.
- SFAC staff presented an overview of the SEHC public art program in conjunction with the Capital Improvement Project presentation to the community on January 29, 2020.
- SEHC Community History Wall Project Outline will be presented to the client agency and SEHC Community Advisory Committee for review and feedback prior to finalization.
- A community representative will serve on the Artist Review Panel and will participate in the Artist Orientation.
- All review panels, Visual Arts Committee (VAC) and Commission meetings are open to the public.
TIMELINE (Subject to change)
- Visual Arts Committee Approval of Project Outline
June 17, 2020
- Artist Review Panel
Week of October 12, 2020
- VAC Approval of Recommended Artist
October 21, 2020
- Arts Commission Approval
November 2, 2020
- Artist Under Contract